Monday, May 10, 2010

Steptoe 2010














On Sunday, Jen, Scott and I started with the bike club on their trip up to Waiwai where Nikki delivered lunch to them. However, we three peeled off at Steptoe Canyon and climbed up to Uniontown, over to Genesee and then we went down Coyote Grade.

The weather finally gave us a decent day. Heading up the river we had a nice tailwind, even on our mountain bikes we rode close to 20 MPH without much effort. The rising warming air also gave us a tailwind going up the Canyon. On top things were a bit cooler with a wind coming out of the the north. I had to put my long sleeve jersey on. Scott showed me a new road over to Genesee, Cow Creek, how I did not know about this road I don't know but I do now.

The most amazing part of our ride was from the top of Coyote Grade back to the boat launch. I was hoping we would go to Lapwai and then climb to the Orchards from there but Jen was being wimpy so we decided to go back to Lewiston directly on 12. This is one of my least favorite places to ride as there is so much traffic on this road.

So when we decided to ride 12, I got out in the lead, made sure that Scott and Jen were hooked up to my rear wheel and went like hell to try to get off that road as soon as possible. Scott and I figured that from the top of Coyote Grade back to the boat launch it only took us 50 minutes. We actually got there ahead of the rest of the bike club. With coming off of Coyote Grade and maintaining at least 19 on the highway I'm sure we averaged well over 20 MPH on this leg of the trip.

Scott, Jen and I thought maybe we ride again together in the future, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment